Dr. Israeli is trained in clinical psychology and neuropsychology. Clinical neuropsychology focusses on understanding the relationship between the brain and behaviour. It involves understanding how the brain develops and works. This is used to determine how a person thinks and acts in the moment, which will help guide diagnosis and treatment of brain related problems. Neuropsychological evaluations focus on cognitive functioning, but may include screening of mental health, and adaptive functions (e.g., one’s ability to complete activities of daily living). Should an individual require a more in-depth evaluation of mental health issues they can let our office know that they wish to pursue a joint psychodiagnostic and neuropsychological evaluation.
WHO BENEFITS FROM NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATIONS?
Individuals with the following conditions:
- Genetic and neurodevelopmental disorders (e.g., Williams Syndrome, Down Syndrome, Spina Bifida etc.)
- Cognitive impairment related to mental health conditions (e.g., mood and anxiety disorders, psychosis etc.)
- Cognitive impairment due to (fetal) exposure to alcohol, drugs, toxins
- Endocrine disorders (e.g., Thyroid)
- Neurological diseases (e.g., MS, Parkinson’s)
- Alzheimer’s and other Dementias
- Traumatic brain injury and concussion
- Vascular disorders and Stroke
- Cognitive impairment related to a medical condition (e.g., diabetes, high blood pressure and cardiac disease)
- Pre and Post Neurosurgery
- Academic problems and learning disabilities
WHY CHOOSE TO HAVE A NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT?
- More in-depth testing and tools
- A deeper look at a person’s thinking and social skills in addition to their mental health and coping
- A better understanding of strengths and weaknesses
- It may help to figure out a diagnosis more accurately
- It may lead to more detailed recommendations and accommodations for school, work, mental health, and medical interventions
- It can be very important when trying to understand complex problems (e.g., neurodevelopmental disorder and a learning disability, ADHD and a brain injury, ADHD and a learning disability, are Johnny’s school problems due to a learning disability or mental health issue?, are Grandpa’s memory problems due to depression or dementia?)
- It can be used for educational and vocational planning
WHAT SKILLS ARE EVALUATED IN A NEUROPSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT?
A neuropsychological evaluation may include some or all of the following depending on the referral questions to be addressed?
- Intellectual functioning
- Academic Achievement
- Language Comprehension and Expression
- Pragmatic/Social Language
- Visual-Perceptual Skills
- Fine and Gross Motor Skills
- Sensorimotor Skills
- Social Thinking Skills
- Learning and Memory
- Executive Functions
- Basic Psychometric Screening of Personality and Emotional Functioning
Please note that Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorder Assessments are not offered at the clinic. However, we can provide you with a list of excellent diagnosticians and treatment providers in the central NB region.